Saturday, February 2, 2008

On the Mend

I succumbed to the illness that had been making its rounds in my family this week. It started with a sore throat last Sat and blossomed in to a full blown cold by Tuesday night. I cut my workouts on Mon and Tues short, and took Wed-Fri off completely.

I actually was in such rough shape on Thursday that I stayed home from work, which was the first time I've done that in years.

Anyhow, I felt like I turned the corner on Friday and felt better today (Sat) when I got up, so I decided to go out and do my run with no agenda other than to cover the distance, and keep my HR under 160. I'm not fully recovered because keeping it under 160 forced me to back off my pace by about 20-25 seconds, but the weather was phenomenal today, and I enjoyed getting outside.

I don't recall a winter in which I've been sicker, but hope it is behind me for good. I need an uninterrupted stretch during this base period to lay down some good foundation.

No comments: