Sunday, April 5, 2009

2009 Lonestar Qtr Iron Triathlon - Gavleston, TX

Let me try to bang out a quick race report.

Overall, a pretty good day for me. The effort level was there, fitness was in check, and the speed wasn't bad. I was a little rusty with the race stuff. Transitions were a little loose, had some goggle problems, and a blunder or two, but I'll learn from them.

Not much to report prior to the gun going off. We were a bit rushed this morning despite leaving the house at 5:15am this morning. We had to get gas, and the drive was almost an hour. but I hit the pier with a couple of minutes to spare ready to go.

My age group was in the first wave with the Pros and Elites. I didn't see any pros with all of the races going on throughout the world this weekend, but there were several collegiate tri team including the Naval Academy team who I believe is the defending NCAA National Champions.

So the gun went off, and the kids all took off with me in tow. I tried to hang with some, but couldn't find a pair of feet to sit on that didn't require me to hammer it, so I ws on my own most of the way. My right goggle was leaking like crazy and I must have swam with it full more that I didn't, and probably cleared it 5 times over the 13 minute swim.

The water was colder that I ever remember it being, and it was dark and overcast at the start. Really wasn't all that pleasant, but it was over quick.

It turned out that all of the guys who dropped me in the swim were elites, and not guys in my AG so I ended up with the top swim time.

Swim (0.6mi): 13:52 - AG place 1st out of 69

T1 was okay. I was pretty beat coming out of the water and took my time trying to get my bearings

As I rolled out of T1 and began to slip into my shoes already clipped into my pedals, I realized I'd put the right shoe in the left pedal, and the left in the right. I had to stop, dismount, unclip them, slip into them, remount, clip in, and go. I probably burned 45-60 seconds futzing with it, and saw several people ride by me while I straightened them out. I'll never make that mistake again.

The ride is a grind. It is pancake flat, and you just have to stay aero and push a big gear hard. There are no breaks to descend, or turns you can sit up through once you get out on the seawall.

There was a slight headwind on the 14 mile stretch towards the SW end of the island, but it wasn't bad.

My back grew a bit tired which tells me I need to spend some time on my core over the next few weeks. You can have the strongest legs in the world, but if your core is weak, they have nothing to push off of on the top end. You can't fire a canon from a canoe!

Bike (28mi): 1:19.42 (21.1 mph) - AG place 11th out of 69

T2 was pretty uneventful. Just a little messing around with my Garmin, but not really any time lost.

The run was a two loop course through Moody Gardens. I got out pretty quick, had a good turnover and was clicking off some decent miles. I fatigued a bit as the run went on and don't think I negative split it, but hung tough, dealt with the demons and the heat that was mounting and did fine.

Run (6.55mi): 54:57 (8:27/mi) - AG place 34 out of 69

Overall: 2:32.07 - 13th in my AG, 79th out of all guys, 117th overall

This is the 4th time I've done this race, and the third time it has been a quarter iron distance race. I PR'd by 11 minutes, and took time out of each discipline, so it was a balanced attack.

My buddies Tim and Darren also did the quarter with me and did real well. They finished within a couple of minutes of each other, didn't get hurt, and still have the fire to get after the next one so it was a success all around for us.

I just got back into town after the drive back up from Galveston, and am sitting back watching the opening night of the MLB season, so life is good. I've had my compression socks on since I got out of the shower, and my legs feel pretty good. My back is sore and I'm tired from the long day, but hope to get a spin in tomorrow.

I have 3 big weeks of training ahead of me as I prepare for Florida 70.3 on May 17th. This three day weekend coming up will help with this week's volume. I can chill out for a few days and use the extra day to get a couple of big rides in. I'll be in Austin so I'm looking forward to a few rides in hill country, and a big Saturday morning run at Town Lake with my wife Ingrid. We haven't run together in years it seems. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great race, Greg. Congrats on the PR. I was fun seeing you in T1 w/ the pros! I'm pretty sure I could not have beat your time today if I did the Quarter.