Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ouch Still

I'm still pretty beat up from the bike crash. I've tried to stick with the training plan, but I've still got some internal bleeding going on in my leg.

When I woke up the day after the crash, my bruise had about tripled in size on my right leg, and I had a matching bruise though not as bad on my left side. My abs and ankle were sore too.

I can run okay on my legs, but cycling still is hard. I am not able to lift my leg very well, especially if the lift includes an internal rotation on the hip. So putting on socks or shorts while standing is nearly impossible, however running isn't bad. Cycling is odd. If I'm pulling up on the pedal, it hurts, so I think I'm sort of free loading on my right side when I ride. I can tell because my power numbers have been off. And after I cycle, I can tell my bruise has changed color with a new dark spot at the point where the joint/muscle underneath the skin is most painful.

The bruise is migrating down my leg and now runs down the inner half of my leg halfway down to my knee. I suppose where gravity takes the blood from either sitting or standing.

I'm going to race this weekend, but don't expect much. I can't get down on the aero bars due to the scrape on my forearm, but hope that a couple of days off the bike might help. I just don't want to throw away $100 that I spent on this entry fee when I'm sure I can get out there and at least use the race as a catered training day.

Here is what the bruise looks like now. It is a little muted in color since I just pulled an ice pack off of it.

No comments: