Thursday, April 17, 2008

Ramping Up the Training

I feel like I write this post about 4 times a year. So let me clarify this post by saying, this time I mean it! Maybe! Definitely likely! Strong Possibly!

I did my Wed night group ride last night, but for the first time this year, followed it up with a group swim immediately afterwards.

I did this double pretty much weekly last year, and it is a tough double, but certainly a character builder, particularly because the ride is always a bit of a hammer fest.

I chose to let the "Alpha" group roll on ahead, and was hoping to find a nice group that would keep my Watts and HR somewhere south of Z5 which is where it often goes with the fast group.

Unfortunately, there really wasn't much between too fast and not fast enough, so I did alot of the ride on my own.

We had crazy winds in the Dallas area yesterday, and it looks like they are still kicking up today. Pretty par for the course this time of the year.

I've never found this documented anywhere, but have heard that Dallas is one of the windiest big cities in the US only behind Chicago. I believe it. Winds were out of the south at 25mph last night, with gusts up to 31 according to accu weather. It put some hair on my chest.

The swim was my second swim since March 1 (the last being in the Lonestar Qtr, see the race report below) so I felt pretty shaky to say the least in the pool.

We'll see how things go this weekend. My hopes are to get out and do a couple of rides with the tri team again.

Dinger

ps. My fantasy baseball team is out to a 4-0 start, and leads the league. Things are looking rough this week, and I am likely to drop my first game. Keep the faith.

No comments: