Tuesday, July 15, 2008

David Does IM USA

---Update 7/20/08---

An amazing effort, on an unforgettable day. David went an 11:58.56, setting a PR by 45 minutes, and slipping under the mythical 12 hour mark.

Talk about Mr. Consistency! David was 123rd place out of the swim with a mind boggling 1:09.43, moved up to 115 with a steady negative split 6:11 bike, and held that 115 spot with a curageous 4:24.33 marathon.

I watched much of the coverage as my friend Hillary had me hanging on a thread in search of a win. She was in the lead from the swim through 20 miles of the run in the women's pro field, so I can tell after watching as much of the coverage as I did that it was WET! It rained all day it seemed.

This effort by David on this day was all the more spectacular given the weather, that is for sure.

Job well done, now go get dry!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My buddy David who you may recall from my Cross Timbers Classic post or my Timberman Race Report is doing IM Lake Placid this Sunday, and I just got off the phone with him giving him my prediction for what he is going to do on Sunday. I figured I'd post it here for posterity.

This is David's 2nd IM, his first being the Redman Iron Distance Triathlon in Sept of 2006. He went something like 12:43 there, and I believe David should break this PR handily. In fact, I told him he could probably PR without even getting his face wet for the entire swim.

Still, his goal is to PR, so going sub 12:43 is the job at hand.

I've ridden with David a bit, and as I mentioned in my Timberman report, David is a billy goat and can fly up hills, so he will be well suited for the climbs in upstate NY. He is a heck of a runner, although not as good as his wife Sarah, and I think he's focussed on his swim a bit more this go-round as he usually does the minimum in the pool (although I do even less). I did an open water swim with him on the 4th of July and he seemed steady and under no stress holding a good pace.

So with all of this info, here is my prediction for him:

Swim 1:25
T1 :07
Bike 6:00
T2 :07
Run 4:09
Total: 11:48

Good luck David, we'll be watching online!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post, Greg. You're a good friend and I appreciate all the swimming pointers you've given me.

It's nice to know that you'll be watching and I'll try to hit your prediction although I still maintain it's aggressive.

Sarah said...

Hey Greg! ~ It looks like David could either nail or do better than the prediction! So far he's got a 1:09 swim and 3:08 for the first 56 miles on the bike! It'll be exciting to see how he finishs today. ~ Sarah G.

Dinger said...

Yeah, through T2, my prediction is 5 mins off in the good direction. I think the run was the only split where I was more conservative than he was, so he's looking good. Tell him to smile when he crosses the line for the cameras.