Saturday, January 17, 2009

Checking In

Nothing major to report. Just checking in. I'm pretty wiped chilling on the couch with the Mrs tonight. I did an 80 min run at slightly more intensity that normal late last night, did a swim this morning, and a long ride mid day today. Right after my ride, I took my oldest daughter on a short hike down by the lake. Only when the fatigue was settling in did I realize I'd done about 4.5 hours of training in a 24 hour period. Oh well, I'll sleep good tonight.


This morning I drove all the way to the pool (about a 25 minute drive on freeways) only to realize I'd left my swim bag in the laundry room. Luckily, the Sat swim runs from 7-9, so I knew I could get home and back to the pool and still get in over an hour of swimming if I wanted to. My swimming pal Sammy who I'm guessing is about 24 and a Tulane Swimming Alum stuck it out for the full 2 hrs and kept me company to the end of the workout.

This week has been tough. I didn't bounce back from the 15K last Sat like I had hoped. I felt good on Sunday and got in a 2.5 hr ride, then tried to go for a run on Monday but it was too early to be running again. My legs were not cooperating. Coach and I made some changes to the schedule, and I followed up that workout with a spin on Tuesday which felt fair. I tried to run again on Wed and had a very sharp painful knot in my left hamstring that forced me to shorten that workout and was enough to have me concerned.

I got a massage reference from the Gorilla Multisport people on Thursday morning, and by Thursday afternoon was getting worked on by a very knowledgeable and technical massage therapist. I learned a lot about my physical condition just talking to him while he worked on my legs.

I came away from the session a bit fatigued. I've heard a good massage will release some pretty serious toxins from your muscles into your blood stream, and I really could feel it. By Friday morning, my legs were still worn from the session, but the knot was gone, and by Friday afternoon, I'd fully recovered and was ready to do my 80 min run on Friday night, which went as good as could be expected.

I've got a long run tomorrow but the weather should be descent for it.

No comments: