Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jugar Beisbol 2009 Roster


I was in Houston yesterday for the 6th annual Rice MBA Fantasy Baseball League draft.

It is always a highlight of the year for me, and for most of the other guys in the league. We've got 12 owners 11 of who are returning for anywhere between their 4th and 6th season this year.

Though we've all moved on to other parts of the country, we still all try to make our way back to Houston during the first weekend of march madness to pick our squads.

Guys fly in from Louisville and Cincinnati while others the out of town TX contingent consists of two of us from the DFW area, and one from Austin. The rest of the guys are Houston locals.

I had the first pick in the draft this year and used it to take CC Sabathia. Not a pick I'm in love with, but our league values pitching highly, and the decision to go pitcher turned out to be a good one as 9 of the first 18 picks were pitchers. If you have the pick of the crop, CC is probably as good as any of the others.

Here is the 2009 Jugar Beisbol squad in the order they were drafted:

1. CC Sabathia - SP
2. John Lackey - SP
3. Lance Berkman - 1B
4. Javier Vazquez - SP
5. Nick Markakis - OF
6. Ricky Nolasco - SP
7. Garrett Atkins - 3B
8. Cory Hart - OF
9. Matt Cain - SP
10. Derek Lowe - SP
11. Kelly Johnson - 2B
12. Matt Wieters - C
13. Jay Bruce - OF
14. Chris Ianetta - C
15. Bronson Arroyo - SP
16. Jonathan Broxton - RP
17. Milton Bradley - OF
18. Christian Guzman - SS
19. Randy Wolf - SP

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my draft. If I could change one thing, I would have taken Ryan Braun in the 3rd round instead of Berkman. I'm not sure that happened. I must have had a brain fart at the time.

I'm also a little disappointed I didn't end up with more Dodgers. I had my eye on several, but they all were drafted too early in my opinion. I tried to make up for it by taking Broxton. Whether Wolf remains on my squad by opening day is an unknown.

No comments: