Monday, May 19, 2008

Big Couple of Weeks Ahead

Someone turned the furnace on in Dallas today. It was 96 degrees out at 6:30 pm during my drive home. I had a 7 mi run to get in tonight, and figured I'd do it on the treadmill. I ran the 1.25 miles to my neighborhood gym, hopped on the treadmill, and started at it. A combination of the heat not really bothering me on the way over, and the monotony of the treadmill forced me back out to the streets after just 2 miles indoors. It was a very dry heat, so while it was hot, the evaporating sweat helped with the cooling effect. The little breeze helped too.

In keeping with the Triathlon tone, I've got a race next weekend. CapTex Tri, which is a big Oly race in downtown Austin. You swim in Town Lake and bike and run right around the TX state capitol in downtown Austin. You can't beat the venue, and the competition is stiff.

I PR'd on this course back in 2005, so I'm interested to see how I stack up to that year. While my volume is down relative to '05 (I was building for my Ironman), I'm hoping the cummulitive effect of the last few seasons is worth something.

I'm going to train very hard right up through Thursday, then give my self an easy couple of days just prior to the race. I really need to train through this thing, but can't resist the opportunity to see where I am.

You may have noticed that I've joined the cult that is Twitter, and have added my Twitter feed as a page element on my blog. For those who aren't familiar with Twitter, it is a way to stalk and be stalked by people, essentially. I can text message in to Twitter what I'm doing, or send out messages to anyone who is following me, who either can receive my note by logging in to their Twitter page, getting my messages texted directly to their mobile device, sent to their IM client, or right off my feed on my blog.

There are several reason that motivated me to get on Twitter, but one primary reason is that my wife and I are headed to Europe for a week the day after my race (for you shady folks who stalk me on this site, but that I can't figure out who you are, no sense robbing me, I'll have a house sitter). We're going to Prague in the Czech Republic for 4 days, then will take a train over to Vienna, Austria for 4 days. We are leaving the kids behind for this one, so it will be a nice little breather before (gasp) baby #3 starts to run our life for a while. We're due on Christmas Day. Mom is feeling great.

So we have an international cell phone for this trip, and my hopes are to send some Twitter posts as we explore. Check back here for my Twitter updates, or better yet, sign up and add me as someone you 'follow'.

No comments: