Sunday, October 5, 2008

Long Horn 70.3 Mini Report

Just a quick update on how the race went. I'll try to find time to do a proper race report, though I don't know when I'll get the chance. I've got a full week of travel to Indianapolis and Atlanta this week, but hopefully I can check in early this week.

The race went well. The swim felt good, and was very short. I split a 23:28min swim, and I'd guess it was about 5 mins short.

The bike was a blast. I felt fast and calm the whole way. My cardio was good so I wasn't working my aerobic system too hard, but probably could have chilled a bit on some of the climbs to save a bit for the run. I think I split around 2:43.04 (20.6 mph avg). Pretty good, only one little incident were I dropped my chain on a climb and had to hop off and wrestle with it a bit.

The run course was a bear. It was pretty warm, and this run was up/down the hole way, and the ups were unbelievably difficult. I was running sub 10s most of the time, but did my share of walking the up hills and through most of the aid stations. I think my run was around 2:21.31, but I'm not positive. I took one pee break at the beginning, but other than that, it was just a bunch of hard work.

I pushed the run pretty hard towards the end shooting for a time goal I established after finishing the first loop of the run, and it really did a number on me. The good news was that I made that goal, and had myself at 5:34.20 on my watch, which was a PR by over 34 minutes. The bad news was that I destroyed myself pretty good, and ended up in the medical tent after the race to take on two bags of IV fluid.

I felt good about an hour later, and now am full from the post race BBQ party at Hills Cafe.

I just watched the highlights from the Dodger game last night, and am ready to hit the hay.

More later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats, buddy. You killed the course! Be sure to rest plenty this week.