Saturday, October 18, 2008

What's Next

I'm two weeks out from Longhorn, and am ready to turn the page. I didn't work out until the following Sunday a week after the race, and have had a light week here just trying to get into the swing of things.

I feel okay when I'm out there. My left hamstring which has bothered me for about 3 years now is still fatigued from the race, but is fine. The taper, and two weeks of hardly any training and I can tell that my fitness has taken a little step back. Nothing I couldn't get back in a couple of weeks, but the HRs are elevated, and although I've only put on a couple of pounds, I've probably dropped a lb or so of lean muscle mass in exchange for fat.

David and I have got things set up on TrainingPeaks.com where he'll be setting my workouts, and I'll be logging my data. My workouts are public (assuming David has no qualms) though I couldn't tell you how to navigate to them. My public username is Dinger.

So we've set up a plan to get us through Feb '09. It will start next weekend were I'll be doing a local 10K to put a stake in the ground and set my training paces and HR zones. Doing a flat out road race will be a new phenomenon and I expect it will hurt, but I'm game.

Once we've got that set up, we've got a couple of weeks of base training. We're going to train through the San Antonio Rock and Roll Half Marry I'm doing on Nov 16th with some friends from Houston, then one more week of base before we enter into a series of build weeks with some rest-n-test weeks sprinkled in. David's got a 15K Bold-in-the-Cold race on my schedule on Jan 11th, and the run season will culminate with the Cowtown Half Marry at the end of Feb in Ft. Worth, TX.

My goals are to improve my half marathon race pace which I hope will translate over to my triathlon running next season, build up my run volume, stay fitter over the winter than I normally am, and stay healthy.

David's going to keep me in the pool for an hour or two every week, and I'll probably stay on the bike a couple of times a week, particularly while the weather is still nice.

So that is the plan. Looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet you haven't lost much if any fitness. Your HRs might be high b/c of stress or you might not even be fully recovered from Longhorn yet. Let's keep an eye on your HR though.

Yes, the 10K will hurt. I won't lie. If it doesn't, you're not pushing hard enough. That's the whole point of this test. The good news is that it'll be over in less than an hour and we'll get the much needed benchmarks to setup your pace and HR zones!