Monday, May 25, 2009

Fulham FC to Europa Cup


I don't believe I've wrote about it here before, but my favorite Premiere League soccer team has just wrapped up one of the most remarkable seasons in the teams long history.

After fighting off relegation from the Premiere League down to the Championship League (the 2nd division in English Federation Soccer) last year by winning their last game of the season, this year they climbed out of the bottom half of the table to 7th to end the season. By finishing 7th, they have qualified for the Europa League Tournament, formerly known as the UEFA Cup. Quite an accomplishment for this smaller budget team.

I began following Fulham about 3 seasons ago because they had one of the best US born soccer players to play well in the EPL, Brian McBride. Last year, the team had at one point 5 American Internationals on the team (Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Casey Keller, Carlos Bocanegra, and McBride before he got hurt). While Dempsey is the only remaining American (Johnson has been on loan all year) to play for Fulham this year, I have grown fond of many of the non US players and really enjoyed following the club this season.

I was able to catch about a dozen matches this year on FSC, including the deep run in the FA Cup prior to their loss to Man U, and look forward to what I hope will be a strong showing in Europe.

No comments: