Sunday, May 17, 2009

Holy S That Hurt

I'm convalescing in the room, trying to muster the strength to get out of bed and cleaned up for dinner in 45 minutes.

I'll follow up with a proper report tomorrow perhaps, but I can sum up the race by saying it was the most difficult race I've ever done. The good news was that I found a ride to the race this morning, though it did cost me $18.It eventually would go downhill from there.

The swim was (long) a freaking war out there. I played pinball and dodged slow pokes threatening my face with errant breastroke kicks the whole way (rant on people doing breastroke in triathlons forthcoming). The bike was fast mostly due to the pristine roads and lots of legal drafting, but was surprisingly hilly at times. But the freaking kick in the nuts was that run. Absolute carnage it was so hot. Bodies everywhere, lots of walking, puking, fainting. I obviously walked a lot. There was no choice. The other thing that I underestimated was how much of this run course was on grass. I'd heard some of it was, but I'd guess about 7 of the 13 miles were on grass. Not trails, grass. It made for slower going.

I'm glad it is over, and that I managed to not out split my run with my bike spit. An absolute no-no which I came close to doing. I'm looking forward to a break from training. It is overdue I'm afraid.

No comments: