Monday, October 8, 2007

10.6 Weekend Observations

Well, well, where do I start. Saturday morning got off to a good start. I did a nice 8 mile run in the mist. It wasn't hot but obviously was humid. I felt pretty good, and could have kept going, but definitely felt as if I was pushing my bounds a bit. Not aerobically, but more like I could feel my joints and lower legs growing fatigued by the stress of running. Anyhow, it was a good session before heading into a recovery week.

My good buddy Woody's wedding was in Plano on Sat. It was an amazing time. I knew a bunch of my fraternity brother whom many I had not seen in ~5 years would be there. The reality was that pretty much all save 2-3 from my class where there, and we had a good time. Its funny to see these guys now as Doctors, Lawyers, or having other successful careers. There were times when I wondered if any of them would live to see 30. Everyone looked good too. Father time has been kind to us.

Speaking of successful careers. One of my buddies Dan G has an interesting story. He dropped out of school after our sophmore year because he wasn't doing well in his classes. I think he was pre-law or something which was a mistake given his character. He was the freest of spirits and it was a bad fit. He moved to Missoula Montana "because it looked cool in 'A River Runs Through It" to deliver Pizzas. He kept in contact, and we were able to convince him to come back to school after a year and try a different course of study in the arts, so he took us up on it riding his Motorcycle back to Atlanta in the dead of winter (think Dumb and Dumber). He started taking theater type courses, and actually excelled at it. Turned his grades around and graduated with the rest of us after busting his hump taking a heavy load and summer courses. Anyhow, he has had some random roles on screen, and has a steady job with a theater group that pays the bills. He is most famous for being Luke Wilson's Ass double in 'My Super Ex-Girlfriend.' It was good to see him still doing what he is passionate about.

So many, many, many drinks later, I caught a cab home (wife left early) and hit the hay at 3am. Not ideal for a long morning ride. Despite my efforts to keep the hangover bug away, I was not so lucky, and spent the day yesterday eating and drinking on my couch while watching football.

I'm back at it today though, I promise.

A week from Today, I'm taking my family to Puerto Rico for 6 days. We're going to do a bit of beach sitting and reading mixed in with some sight seeing. I'm told there is a National Park on the island that is worth seeing, and old town San Juan is neat to tour. Let me know if you have recommendations. We'll be staying on the east side of the island, but will have a car. I plan to read Greenspan's 'The Age of Turbulence,' and if time permits, 'The Paleo Diet for Athletes.' I'm pretty sure many, many, many drinks are not part of the diet, but you never know.

I'll be making my Ironman World Championship Predictions later this week, so check back for those.

And now, for my weekend observations:

- Am I the only one who doesn't know the words to Journey's 'Don't Stop Believe'n?'
- White guys can't dance
- Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders can (First hand witness at the wedding. Thats right!)
- I have no sympathy for the Chicago marathoners who crumbled in 88 degree weather. Welcome to Oct in Texas.
- A 45,000 person marathon is a recipe for disaster.
- Congrats to David on his 2nd Half IM finish in 7 weeks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for congratulating me. It was tougher than Timberman. You can read more about it here: http://gillens.net/2007/10/09/longhorn-half-ironman/

I bet you're looking forward to Puerto Rico. That should be a lot of fun. Kona should be interesting this weekend. My money is on Macca, but I'm also interested to see how first timer Craig Alexander does. Plus, I hope Desiree can do well again!